What is Career Navigator?
Career Navigator is a ready-for-work programme that is designed to help secondary school students find a meaningful career pathway upon leaving school. The programme supports teenagers in their decision making around future employment, while also providing an effective platform for employers to share real-world knowledge and offer mentoring and active learning opportunities in the career space.
Download the Career Navigator Brochure here.
Career Navigator is underpinned by this whakatauki (proverb):
Ka pū te ruha, ka hao te rangatahi
As an old net withers another is remade
- Career Navigator Research
- Why Career Navigator?
Career Navigator Research
- Helps students gain skills and confidence in their ability to make suitable career and subject choices
- Creates an awareness of what will be expected from students, in order for them to be successful within the workplace
- Offers an opportunity for employers to raise their profile and connect with future employees
- Puts students in front of local potential employers
Why Career Navigator?
In the short term, this programme aims for students to:
- Be more informed and confident in their option selection and career decision-making
- Have greater awareness of what is expected of them in the workplace
- Gain increased workplace support, knowledge and experience
- Have increased levels of school engagement
- Have greater connections with their community
Intermediate aims of the programme include:
- Enhanced academic performance
- Decreased truancy
- Improved school resource allocation