What is Career Navigator?
Career Navigator is a school based ready for work programme that supports schools to help students:
- Understand the importance of their schoolwork to their future lives
- Have confidence in their career choices
- Develop work readiness skills
- Develop positive attitudes toward work and job seeking.
Career Navigator goal is to provide young people with the work-ready skills and confidence they need to transition successfully from school into higher education and/or employment.
Download the Career Navigator Brochure here.
Career Navigator is underpinned by this whakataukī (proverb):
Ka pū te ruha, ka hao te rangatahi
As an old net withers another is remade
SAP Career Navigator Workshop
- Why Career Navigator?
- Career Navigator Research
Why Career Navigator?
Career Navigator was developed in response to requests from employers and schools
This programme was also developed in response to:
- Schools identified that many New Zealand youth are leaving school too soon and without being ready for employment. This combination puts them at risk for adding to the already high youth unemployment statistics
- The loss of ‘stepping-stone’ jobs (e.g., milk runs, paper delivery) means young people have fewer opportunities for work experiences and interactions with potential employers
- Within the highly competitive and challenging economic context, many businesses do not have the time and resources to devote to workplace learning for young people.
Career Navigator Research
- Helps students gain skills and confidence in their ability to make suitable career and subject choices
- Creates an awareness of what will be expected from students, in order for them to be successful within the workplace
- Offers an opportunity for employers to raise their profile and connect with future employees
- Puts students in front of local potential employers