What is Stars?
Stars is a 12-month mentoring programme that supports, motivates and positively reinforces Year 9 students during their first year in secondary school.
Stars is underpinned by this whakatauki (proverb):
Tukua kia tu takitahi nga whetu o te rangi
Let each star in the sky shine its own light
- Stars Research
- Why Stars?
The proof is in the research, and here’s what it shows. Stars:
- Develops confidence
- Develops team building
- Develops friendship
- Teaches students about their community
- Improves relationships between students and also with teachers
This programme provides an effective platform to:
- Help Year 9 students successfully navigate the transition to secondary school
- Develop self-confidence and resilience
- Promote a team culture and develop mentor and leadership skills for senior students
- Facilitate caring relationships with students and between students and teachers
- Develop a sense of responsibility and connectedness to the school and the wider community